Monday, July 11, 2016

Epilogue 1, Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

CHAPTER 1

 year 1813-20

Tolstoy explains how the once praised Alexander is now seen at fault by historians. What is good and bad is determined by a time period in which other time periods cannot understand.

Important Quotes

"But even if we assume that fifty years ago Alexander I was mistaken in his view of what was good for the people, we must inevitably assume that the historian who judges Alexander will also after the lapse of some time turn out to be mistaken in his view of what is good for humanity."

"If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."

CHAPTER 2

What is chance? What is genius? These thoughts are touched upon in this chapter.

Important Quotes

" I do not know why a certain event occurs; I think that I cannot know it; so I do not try to know it and I talk about chance. I see a force producing effects beyond the scope of ordinary human agencies; I do not understand why this occurs and I talk of genius. "

CHAPTER 3

All of Napoleon's actions in the war are described by chance.

CHAPTER 4

Napoleon is exiled to an island off of France. There he contemplates what good he could've brought had he won the war and the people hadn't turned against him. Alexander is now the most powerful ruler but gives up his power because he finds power to be unattractive. Tolstoy speaks of perspective and how everyone has a different perspective and only sees certain parts of a whole (he uses a beehive metaphor).

Important Quotes

"And some years pass during which [Napoleon] plays a pitiful comedy to himself in solitude on his island, justifying his actions by intrigues and lies when the justification is no longer needed, and displaying to the whole world what it was that people had mistaken for strength as long as an unseen hand directed his actions."

"at the time when Napoleon in exile was drawing up childish and mendacious plans of how he would have made mankind happy had he retained power—Alexander I, having fulfilled his mission and feeling the hand of God upon him, suddenly recognizes the insignificance of that supposed power, turns away from it, and gives it into the hands of contemptible men whom he despises"

CHAPTER 5

Count Rostov dies after Natasha and Pierre marry. Nicholas comes home to take care of the countess and Sonya helps him care for her every need. The Rostovs are very poor now and in debt, but hide this from the countess who likes lavish things. Nicholas does not love Sonya at all anymore and thinks she's too perfect to like. He also doesn't want to marry rich and simply enjoys being in his gloomy state.

Important Quotes

"[Nicholas] felt that the more he valued her the less he loved her. He had taken her at her word when she wrote giving him his freedom and now behaved as if all that had passed between them had been long forgotten and could never in any case be renewed. " 

CHAPTER 6

 Mary goes to visit the Rostovs. Nicholas greets her very coldly and she is taken aback. The countess advises Nicholas to call Mary again and talk with her and he goes, grudgingly. Mary and he talk and Mary asks him why he's changed so much. She cries, telling him that she has so little happiness in life and now has even less since he won't be friendly with her.

Important Quotes

 Mary: "I expected nothing else," she told herself, calling her pride to her aid. "I have nothing to do with him and I only wanted to see the old lady, who was always kind to me and to whom I am under many obligations." But she could not pacify herself with these reflections"

Mary:  "I don't understand your why, Count," she continued, "but it's hard for me... I confess it. For some reason you wish to deprive me of our former friendship. And that hurts me." There were tears in her eyes and in her voice. "I have had so little happiness in life that every loss is hard for me to bear.... Excuse me, good-by!" and suddenly she began to cry and was hurrying from the room."

No comments:

Post a Comment