Saturday, May 7, 2016

Book 4, Chapters 4, 5, 6

CHAPTER 4

Pierre sits across from Dolokhov at the dinner table. He angrily thinks of how word has spread that Dolokhov and his wife, Helene, are having an affair. When a messenger brings Pierre a letter, Dolokhov snatches it from him, clearly wanting to start something. Pierre, who has been mad all night thinking about Dolokhov and his wife, bursts out that he challenged Dolokhov to a duel. The two know that a duel isn't necessary over a problem like this, but neither man backs down. The next day they prepare for the duel, Dolokhov proud to fight while Pierre is regretful and scared to die.

Important Quotes

Pierre about Dolokhov: "It would be particularly pleasant to him to dishonor my name and ridicule me, just because I have exerted myself on his behalf, befriended him, and helped him. I know and understand what a spice that would add to the pleasure of deceiving me, if it really were true."

Dolokhov: "Everyone fears a bear,' he says, 'but when you see one your fear's all gone, and your only thought is not to let him get away"

CHAPTER 5

Dolokhov and Pierre have their duel. The nervous Pierre shoots the overly confident Dolokhov first, wounding him badly. Pierre tries to stop the duel when he sees what he's done, but Dolokhov insists that as long as he can fight, he will. However, Dolokhov does not make it through the duel and Rostov and Denisov have to carry him away. On their way to Moscow, Dolokhov is dying and tells Rostov to prepare his mother because the shock of him dying will kill her too. Here, Rostov learns that the bully and brawler Dolokhov was actually a tender, loving son.

Important Quotes

"It was evident that the affair so lightly begun could no longer be averted but was taking its course independently of men's will."

"Pierre, hardly restraining his sobs, began running toward Dolokhov and was about to cross the space between the barriers, when Dolokhov cried: "To your barrier!"

 CHAPTER 6

Pierre is consumed with thoughts and regrets about the duel. He realizes that the duel was so unnecessary because he was defending a relationship with a woman who he didn't even love. He returns home where he's met by Helene. The once docile, stupid woman we had seen in previous chapters is now toxic. She yells at Pierre for believing the rumors about her and Dolokhov and tells him that they were false. She also mentions how she would like to have a lover since she has to put up with such a boring man as Pierre. At this, he threatens to divorce her and when she makes a mockery of that, he threatens to kill her.

*I predict that Pierre will take a liking to death and killing as he's already almost killed Dolokhov and threatens to kill his wife. A dark side is coming out of him*

Important Quotes
 
Pierre: "What has happened?" he asked himself. "I have killed her lover, yes, killed my wife's lover. Yes, that was it! And why? How did I come to do it?"—"Because you married her," answered an inner voice. "But in what was I to blame?" he asked. "In marrying her without loving her; in deceiving yourself and her."

Pierre:  "Yes, I never loved her," said he to himself; "I knew she was a depraved woman," he repeated, "but dared not admit it to myself. And now there's Dolokhov sitting in the snow with a forced smile and perhaps dying, while meeting my remorse with some forced bravado!"

Pierre: "Who is right and who is wrong? No one! But if you are alive—live: tomorrow you'll die as I might have died an hour ago. And is it worth tormenting oneself, when one has only a moment of life in comparison with eternity?"

Helene:  "Why shouldn't I speak? I can speak as I like, and I tell you plainly that there are not many wives with husbands such as you who would not have taken lovers (des amants), but I have not done so," said she."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment