Thursday, May 12, 2016

Book 5, Chapters 10, 11, 12

CHAPTER 10

 Pierre, struck by a philanthropic mood, asks the chief steward in Kiev to free all the serfs. The steward knows this request is crazy, but assures Pierre he will try his best by building places such as hospitals, schools, asylums, etc for the public good. However, what Pierre doesn't know is that these places are being built by the serfs whose labor has not decreased at all. Pierre feels so satisfied with himself, thinking he is doing so much good, but not knowing that the serfs aren't free at all.

Important Quotes

Pierre: "How easy it is, how little effort it needs, to do so much good," thought Pierre, "and how little attention we pay to it!"

"The steward promised to do all in his power to carry out the count's wishes, seeing clearly that not only would the count never be able to find out whether all measures had been taken for the sale of the land and forests and to release them from the Land Bank, but would probably never even inquire and would never know that the newly erected buildings were standing empty and that the serfs continued to give in money and work all that other people's serfs gave—that is to say, all that could be got out of them."

CHAPTER 11

Pierre visits Andrew in his estate. He and Andrew catch up and talk about what is morally good. Andrew is a fatalist, thinking that humanity is all bad and that it's worthless to care for ones neighbor. He views Pierre's charity work as useless. Pierre is horrified at how much Andrew has changed for the worse and how old he has gotten. Andrew makes comments about how serf are below them and only good for working while he and Pierre are only good for thinking. Andrew tells Pierre that he must meet Mary (who I think Pierre will give his third pair of white gloves to).

Important Quotes

"Prince Andrew had grown thinner, paler, and more manly-looking, but what amazed and estranged Pierre till he got used to it were his inertia and a wrinkle on his brow indicating prolonged concentration on some one thought."

"Why so?" asked Prince Andrew. "To kill a vicious dog is a very good thing really."
"No, to kill a man is bad—wrong."
"Why is it wrong?" urged Prince Andrew. "It is not given to man to know what is right and what is wrong.

Andrew: "I only know two very real evils in life: remorse and illness. The only good is the absence of those evils."

Andrew: "You lived for yourself and say you nearly ruined your life and only found happiness when you began living for others. I experienced just the reverse. I lived for glory.—And after all what is glory? The same love of others, a desire to do something for them, a desire for their approval.—So I lived for others, and not almost, but quite, ruined my life. And I have become calmer since I began to live only for myself."

Pierre: "I know, and know for certain, that the enjoyment of doing this good is the only sure happiness in life."

Andrew: "(pointing to a peasant who passed by them taking off his cap) "from his animal condition and awaken in him spiritual needs, while it seems to me that animal happiness is the only happiness possible, and that is just what you want to deprive him of....Then you say, 'lighten his toil.' But as I see it, physical labor is as essential to him, as much a condition of his existence, as mental activity is to you or me. You can't help thinking. I go to bed after two in the morning, thoughts come and I can't sleep but toss about till dawn, because I think and can't help thinking, just as he can't help plowing and mowing."

Andrew: "So that's what I'm sorry for—human dignity, peace of mind, purity, and not the serfs' backs and foreheads, which, beat and shave as you may, always remain the same backs and foreheads."

CHAPTER 12

Pierre tries to convince Andrew to join the Freemason group. Andrew, at first, is skeptical, yet listens to everything that Pierre tells him. Andrew says that he has encountered too much death to believe in life after death and God. Pierre still continues to try and reform Andrew. As they look up at the sky, Andrew remembered the time on the battlefield when the sky seemed to hold something that he couldn't comprehend. Since then, he changed himself on the inside, although he doesn't show it on the outside.

Important Quotes 

Pierre: "He was thinking that Prince Andrew was unhappy, had gone astray, did not see the true light, and that he, Pierre, ought to aid, enlighten, and raise him. But as soon as he thought of what he should say, he felt that Prince Andrew with one word, one argument, would upset all his teaching, and he shrank from beginning, afraid of exposing to possible ridicule what to him was precious and sacred."

Andrew: "You say: join our brotherhood and we will show you the aim of life, the destiny of man, and the laws which govern the world. But who are we? Men. How is it you know everything? Why do I alone not see what you see?"






No comments:

Post a Comment